A STATEMENT OF QUALIFICATIONS RELATING TO
THE ENGINEERING, PROCUREMENT, CONSTRUCTION, OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE
CSP PLANT 50MW
The program includes the implementation of a renewable energy multi-technology power park (“The Project”) containing 70 MW of different commercially proven technologies namely 50 MW CSP parabolic trough technology equipped with Thermal Energy Storage (“TES”) system, and backed up by fuel boilers, 10 MW Photovoltaics (“PV”) and 10 MW Wind. The aim of the Project is to enable the country to assess the performance of different renewable technologies including CSP, PV and Wind and energy storage with and without co-firing capabilities under the local climate conditions.
The client is issuing this Request for Qualification to parties (each an “Applicant”) interested in both being an Engineering, Procurement, Construction (“EPC”) Contractor or forming an EPC consortium as well as being an Operation & Maintenance (“O&M”) Contractor or forming an O&M consortium to participate in the Project.
A single Applicant can apply for qualification of one, two or all three Plants separately, including the corresponding O&M contract, i.e. each Applicant applying for the EPC of a Plant shall also apply for the corresponding O&M Contract. Each contract will be negotiated and signed separately for each technology of the Plants totaling to a maximum of three (3) contract packages (EPC & corresponding O&M). Synergies and advantages of one Applicant offering for several Plants are to be briefly described within the SOQ. Further elaboration on these advantages can be added during the tendering process in case of successful qualification.
Successful Applicants will be invited to the tenders that they were qualified for, and they can submit their tenders for each Plant separately in case of qualification for more than one project.
The EPC Contractor is required to provide the O&M services during the warranty period until Project Commercial Operation Date (PCOD) and during a period of up to the first five (5) years thereafter. These services can be provided either directly or via a subcontractor; the later shall be contracted directly by the EPC Contractor not through third partly such as Parent Company.
The Project Site will be set ready for the selected EPC contractors. The engineering, procurement and construction of a substation and common infrastructure package (“Substation & Infrastructure”) will be carried out independently through separate contract and it is not part of this RFQ. This package will include, amongst others: the earthworks for access roads and substation; the central substation for all three technologies; the fencing of the area; the main gatehouse; office buildings; water storage; waste water and storm water facilities; site and internal electrical distribution civil work for the gatehouse; access roads,; and main parking for the site.
The Project includes the following three different packages:
· The engineering, procurement, construction, testing, commissioning and warranty of the Plant with 50 MW of net power capacity equipped with dry cooled condenser and large capacity molten salt two tanks thermal energy storage, including all the required infrastructure and civil work other than that listed above as well as the operation and maintenance of the Plant
· The engineering, procurement, construction, testing, commissioning and warranty of the Plant with 10 MW of net power capacity (consisting of two commercial PV technologies), including foundations, trenches, ducts, connection with the 132 kV Substation, etc. as necessary as well as the operation and maintenance of the Plant;
· The engineering, procurement, construction, testing, commissioning and warranty of the Wind Plant with 10 MW of net power capacity, including foundations, trenches, ducts, connection with the 132 kV Substation, etc. as necessary as well as the operation and maintenance of the Wind Plant.
The Contractors shall take into account that according to the different timelines for the different packages it is expected that at the beginning of the project a total of 4 main Contractors will be working at the same time in the area.
Specific objectives of the Park are:
- Design, construct, commission and operate 70 MW multi technology renewable energy power plant;
- Evaluate the performance, efficiency and reliability of the technologies used and determine the deficiencies and limitations of each technology under local climate conditions;
- Assess the Performance of national electrical system analysis and network stability under large scale renewable energy power generation;
- Conduct precise and accurate technical and economic feasibility and cost benefit analysis for large scale deployment of each technology used for power generation; and
- Develop the local human capacity and hands-on experience for local engineers.
1.3 Technical Description
1.3.1 The Master Plan
The master plan will be developed for the deployment of renewable energy technologies at the designated site with the final target of the RE capacity is 2,000 MW. The proposed Park is planned to be developed in three phases.
The three phases of the Master Plan are:
- Phase 1: this project with 70 MW of RE capacity (50 MW CSP, 10 MW PV and 10 MW Wind);
- Phase 2: Extension of the plant to a total of 1,000 MW installed RE capacity (CSP, CPV, PV and/or wind); and
- Phase 3: Extension of the plant to a total of 2,000 MW installed RE capacity (CSP, CPV, PV and/or wind).
It is intended that the last two phases will be executed under a form of Public Private Partnership (PPP) which will be structured at a later stages through the dedicated Government bodies in the State of Kuwait thus this RFQ is limited to phase 1 only.
1.3.2 Site Details
The area foreseen for the project installation is located in a desert area and is mainly undeveloped. The area does not feature any considerable change in topography and it is mainly flat with no major obstacles to construction or to become potential major causes of shading.
The area will be secured by The Contractor who in turn will make it available for the construction of the Project.